In the corner of Northern California you’ll find the beautiful Mendocino coast and its laidback, artsy culture that has made it one of the top tourist destinations in the country – or even the world. Appearing in television shows (Murder She Wrote) and movies (Overboard), Mendocino is a dramatic but fun-filled location making it an attractive town to explore and experience a wide variety of activities.
Mendocino Activities for the Whole Family
1. Get on the Skunk Train in Fort Bragg for an exhilarating ride through the majestic redwood forests, breathtaking mountain meadows, and more than 30 bridges above immaculate mountain waters.
2. Take a stroll in the so-called “garden by the sea”, Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, at the south of Fort Bragg for 47 acres of ocean-front manicured gardens, streams, forests, fern canyons and bluffs.
3. Charter a boat at Noyo Harbor at the south end of Fort Bragg and do a lot of water activities, such as fishing, whale watching, kayaking, or whatever sparks your interest.
4. Play golf at the Little River Inn, the only golf course on the Mendocino Coast, while you are presented with the stunning view of the ocean that can distract even the most seasoned players.
5. Visit the Point Cabrillo Lighthouse and enjoy the scenic 300-acre Point Cabrillo Preserve. Learn about the flora and fauna on the coast, as well as the fascinating story of the Frolic, the 1850 shipwreck that is dubbed as “the most significant shipwreck on the west coast”.
6. Stop over at the Campbell Brothers’ Confusion Hill on Redwood Highway in Piercy for an entertaining small-town Ripley’s-like experience. Enter the bewildering Gravity House, the iconic Redwood Shoehouse, the large Totem Pole wood carving, and the adorable Chipalopes.
7. Sample Mendocino wines from Chardonnay to Viognier to Pinot Noir by going on a wine-tasting tour beginning on Highway 101 in the quaint town of Hopland. Also don’t miss the wineries on the coast where you’ll find around 49 wineries with tasting rooms and spectacular ocean views.
8. Drive to the Mendocino Bay Overlook for the most outstanding view of the village of Mendocino from south of Big River. If you’re in luck, you might even witness a romantic wedding ceremony going on!
9. Make your way to the Drive-Thru Tree Park and take photos of your vehicle driving through the Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree.
10. Visit the location of Murder She Wrote, filmed in and around Mendocino County (known as the fictional town of Cabot Cove in the show). Look for the Victorian bed and breakfast that was used as Jessica Fletcher’s home.