Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why I'm Not a Fan of Winter

If your Facebook is flooded with complaints from people about how frigidly cold it is during winter, count me as one of them. In fact, I turn into a depressed human being at this time of the year because of the lack of Vitamin D and outdoor activities -- I even dread going out to check the mailbox that takes barely a minute to reach from the door.


Apparently, there is a name for this -- SAD, which stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. How fitting that the acronym also gives the meaning of this condition. I claim to have SAD as soon as the thermostat hits below 50s. So excuse me for my sour behavior, my laziness, and my general dislike of people and even sunlight because I'd rather be snugly covered by three layers of soft, thick blanket at any time of day.

Researchers from Oregon State University begs to differ, though, and reveals that the "winter blues" should not be mistaken for a case of SAD, which is a real medical condition of clinical depression. So does this mean that I should stop blaming the biting cold wintry wind for my lack of enthusiasm in life? According to their studies, yes. I guess I should stop myself from calling a therapist just yet to examine my head.

Anyway, to combat the cold, I've decided to do the next best thing -- travel to a warmer place! This article suggests the best US cities to visit to escape the winter blues. There's New Orleans -- if the Broncos are back to the Super Bowl in January, which they probably would, then I'm going! Texas also sounds like an awesome venue for Christmas shopping at the Armadillo Christmas Bazaar in Austin. North Myrtle Beach, SC and Mendocino, CA would be a lot of exciting fun too, especially when I can get close to the ocean even in January. No swimming, of course, because I know the water is still going to be too cold, but I know I will be expecting sun and sand, instead of snow and ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment